Nancy Benton of Admissions Edge College Counseling believes in guiding students to find their “best match” colleges through a student-centered approach, where the student is the leader in the process. We do not look at national ratings and rankings to find a student’s best match colleges, but we assess the student’s specific needs and priorities to find colleges where they will thrive and grow socially and academically. A good match college should provide students with the foundation they need for a successful life after college.
- Private College Admissions Counselor. Consultant to private clients and co-leader “College Applications Boot Camp” at the Tutoring Club of McLean.
- Admissions Reader, Office of Admissions, George Washington University. Review and rate hundreds of student applications for admission to GWU and make recommendations on admit, waitlist, or deny. Also reviewed applicants to the highly competitive University Honors Program.
- Volunteer College Admissions Counselor. Volunteer writing coach and college counseling coach for College Summit, a national nonprofit dedicated to helping low-income youth prepare for and apply to college. Worked with multiple students over two summers (2013 and 2014).
- Associate Member, the Independent Educational Consultants Association. Attend professional college counseling training, college tours, and conferences.
- Alumni Admissions Representative, Mount Holyoke College. Interviewed prospective students and represented Mount Holyoke College at college fairs.
- Project Manager, The Nature Conservancy and NatureServe. Over 20 years of experience writing proposals, managing projects, coordinating project teams, conducting research, communicating with clients, preparing project reports, and tracking deadlines and tasks for complex, multi-year projects with government agencies and private industry clients.
- School Volunteer. Founder, Chair, and Coach of the “Odyssey of the Mind” educational program, Drew Elementary School; Chair, PTA Reflections Arts Contest, Drew Elementary School; Officer in the Drew Elementary School PTA. Education Officer for the Arlington Montessori Action Committee.
Certificate in Independent Educational Consulting (in progress)
University of California, Irvine • Leading graduate program in college counseling
Master of Science • University of Maryland • College Park, MD
Bachelor of Arts • Mount Holyoke College • South Hadley, MA
- Junior Year Abroad • University of Edinburgh • Edinburgh, Scotland